A blog Re-Andaman-ted.

After popping in to see my now slightly less bewildered Thai friends I set off north easing through flat lowland roads before crossing the Trang river and turning west under a rare cloud strewn day.



Racing toward riverland hills



Passing characterful fishing inlets


By the afternoon the familiar hot sun of SE Asia had emerged and so what better place to seek refreshment than some hot springs.


Walking through the peaceful garden 


I eventually came to the communal pool. It was seriously hot. Scalding like a too hot bath.


I shared the heat with some of the locals including a monk carefully bathing a gout afflicted foot and as the hot water did its work on my much mistreated leg muscles we both agreed the water had healing properties. 


As evening I was back on the bike in search of the coast.


By the time I reaches the Hat Chao Mai national park it was after dark and I gratefully rolled into a spacious pagoda. Wandering the parks paths under moonlight I followed the sounds of breaking waves. At various moments across the trip I had dreamed of ending a tiring days cycling with an invigorating night swim but the opportunity has rarely presented itself. So I lost no time in taking the plunge for yet more healing aqua therapy. Paddling happily and looking back at the deserted silver sands.

The next morning the national park buzzed and thronged with life 


And I still had it all to myself in the dawn blush.
Beautiful mangrove trees with their intricate roots.




Dawn turned to morning and pink to blue around the karsk hills signalling it was time to get back on the saddle.



I was heading up the coast for Pak Meng enjoying watching the fishermen plying their craft about river mouths.


Pak Meng soon emerged through the heat haze.


Having made good time I found a handily placed public hammock and relaxed waiting for the boat to Ko Ngai.


With departure date arriving I waited on the jetty peering at the beautiful islands that dotted the bay.

Wrangling the bike and panniers onto the longtail was child's play compared to disembarking but eventually I was safe and sound if a little wet. 
 

Ko Ngai is an interesting place. A roadless Thai island peppered with luxury bohemian resorts. I slowly pushed my bike along the beach raising an eyebrow or two from lounging Swedish and German holiday makers.

I was hot and sweaty but one look at the cool turquoise bay with its eye wateringly gorgeous view encouraged me on to find my campsite where thankfully a friendly welcome and cold beer was waiting. 


The next few days I spent my time wandering paradise stopping only to swim and read and worry not at all.


Marvelling at the constantly changing palette


The islands fauna kept me entertained and her flora provided a cool nights sleep on another communal hammock (wonderful amenities)! 

Big beautiful bugs kept me company

As did new found friends made over a coconut or two. 


A lovely night of drinking and cooking up intricate business plans that were definitely the next big thing.

An ant invasion signalled that I had lingered long enough and it was time to re-find a path I could roll along. 

Farwell Ko Ngai, now I just need to go about getting the bike back on that boat...






No comments:

Post a Comment